Trials in Upholding Religion
From Khabbab Ibn al Aratti -may Allah be pleased with him- said, “We complained to Allah’s messenger -peace and prayer of Allah be. upon him-, when he was lying, using his head cover as a pillow under the shadow of Ka’ba. Then we asked, ‘Don’t you ask any help for us? Don’t you pray goodness for us?’
He replied, ‘There were people before you, one of them was buried alive, one got his body split into two from the peak of his head using a seesaw, and was combed using iron comb that cut through his flesh and bone, but those (tortures) didn’t shake them from their religion.
By Allah, Allah will expand Islam until it evens from Shan’a to Hadhramaut, and each of them wont scare but of Allah or of wolves that attack their goats. But you are being haste.” 
Morals of the story:
- It explains the excellence of patience and trials in holding fast to religion.
- It explains one of the miracle of Prophet Muhammad -peace and prayer of Allah be upon him-, that is the expansion of Islam, and the realization of safety and peace.
- The patience of The companions of the Prophet -peace and prayer of Allah be upon him- to endure incessant tortures willingly and with contented soul.
- An advice to look up to the pious men who were tried much and they kept patience in facing it.
- Islam is a religion full of peace and serenity until the coming of the Hour.
. Narrated by Al Bukhari, 3612; Ahmad, 5/109, al-Humaidi, 157; Abu Dawud, 2649; an-Nasai, 8/204.
[Reference: “Sittuna Qishshah Rawaha an-Nabi wash Shahabah al-Kiram”, by Muhammad bin Hamid Abdul Wahab, Indonesian-language edition: “61 Bedtime Stories with Valid Narrations from the Messenger of Allah the his companions”. Published by Pustaka Darul Haq, Jakarta]