Aslam o Alakum!
Are women allowed to wear Indian sarees, keeping in mind the Islamic dress code ,that is their body is completely covered, the form and shape of their body is concealed and they wear head scarves? Can they also work in an office environment like that?
Kindly also reply for countries like India where saree is common and at some places or workplaces itis necessary to wear it.
Irrum Hassan (from India)
Wa alaikumus salam
There are 2 requirements of women’s clothes in Islam:
1. It should cover all of her ‘awrah/body parts that must be covered. It is said to cover all of woman’s ‘awrah if it fulfills three requirements:
- It should cover all of woman’s body parts but her face and palms.
- It doesn’t reveal body curves.
- It is not transparent.
From Abu Huraira -may Allah be pleased with him-, he said that the Messenger of Allah -peace and prayer of Allah be upon him- said,
صِنْفَانِ مِنْ أَهْلِ النَّارِ لَمْ أَرَهُمَا قَوْمٌ مَعَهُمْ سِيَاطٌ كَأَذْنَابِ الْبَقَرِ يَضْرِبُونَ بِهَا النَّاسَ وَنِسَاءٌ كَاسِيَاتٌ عَارِيَاتٌ مُمِيلاَتٌ مَائِلاَتٌ رُءُوسُهُنَّ كَأَسْنِمَةِ الْبُخْتِ الْمَائِلَةِ لاَ يَدْخُلْنَ الْجَنَّةَ وَلاَ يَجِدْنَ رِيحَهَا وَإِنَّ رِيحَهَا لَيُوجَدُ مِنْ مَسِيرَةِ كَذَا وَكَذَا
“There are two types of the people of Hell whom I have not seen,  men with whips like the tails of cattle with which they strike the people, and  women who are clothed yet naked, Mumîlât Mâ’ilât, (walking with an enticing gait or turning away from righteousness and leading others astray) with their heads like the humps of camels leaning to one side. They will not enter Paradise nor smell its fragrance, and its fragrance may be detected from such and such a distance.” (Narrated by Muslim in hadith no. 2128)
Some scholars interpreted the meaning of ‘clothed yet naked’ are:
– Women who wear clothes, but some parts of her ‘awrah are still seen.
– Women who wear tight or transparent clothes.
2. It shouldn’t imitate the specific clothes of disbelievers (that is, clothes that become the trademark of their religion) , whatever their religion are. The Prophet-peace and prayer of Allah be upon him- said:
مَنْ تَشَبَّهَ بِقَوْمٍ فَهُوَ مِنْهُمْ (أخرجه أحمد وغيره، وصججه الألباني في الإرواء رقم ١٢٦٩
“Whoever resembles a nation, is a part of them.” (Narrated by Ahmad and other narrators, classed sahih by Al Albani in his book titled ‘Al Irwaa’, in hadith no. 1269)
Hence, if this Indian sarees is the trademark/specific clothes worn by the Hindu women in India, then the muslims should not wear it.
Allah knows best.
Answered by ustadz Ammi Nur Baits
Article of www.whatisquran.com